FCGI.pm ?

Roger Hoover roger.hoover at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 23:26:04 MSK 2009

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 9:56 AM, mike <mike503 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sure - you mean anything that nginx (or any other server) speaks fastcgi to

Yes!

> webserver <-> this process manager <-> code (perl cgi, or anything else) ?
>
> Wouldn't this also be able to replace php-fpm then?

Ideally, yes.  Even with PHP's unique lifecycle (all objects discarded after
each request), I don't see a reason why process pool management needs to be
built in to PHP FastCGI handling.  Each PHP process could manage the request
lifecycle for itself while the process pool management could be handled
generically, just like any other language.

> It seems like there are already ways using Tomcat/etc. for java,
> php-fpm for PHP, ruby and python have managers, but CGI does not. Can
> you give an example of what other things you'd want this to manage?

In short, I'd be happy if it exactly matched the process management features
of mod_fastcgi for Apache.  mod_fastcgi does both FastCGI proxying and
process management.  Nginx + other event driven webservers implement the
FastCGI proxying piece but not the process management piece.

You're right that each language seems to have a different way of managing
processes.  This is appealing when all the infrastructure you run is in a
single language.  If you run ruby, you do it "the ruby way".  However, the
organizations I've worked for need to run code in different languages, for
various reasons including aquisition or migration.  I think everyone would
benefit from a language agnostic process manage similar to mod_fastcgi but
not tied to Apache.