using Perl Mod to populate Memcached on the fly

Daniel Rhoden drhoden at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 23:36:54 MSK 2009

There has been a growing trend in using VPS like Xen to host sites.
What I'm seeing is that memory is guaranteed, but the I/O to the hard
drive is competing with the other customers on the same physical server.

I've given up on the idea of using Perl to populate memcached on the
fly for anything, static html or dynamic.  I agree that the best place
for memory caching of static content is right with nginx.

Did some analysis and found that about 1% of our pages get 40% of the
traffic.  Since these are static pages it is unlikely that they will
change in popularity from day to day.  So I've decided that a cron job
can populate the cache for these few pages (and then some) with very
little overhead, very little memory, with the biggest payoff.

Thank you all for your feedback on this idea.

By the way: I am seeing a boost in performance by caching static
files.  Small, but every ms counts.