New wiki

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Wed Mar 18 19:37:05 MSK 2009

Dan Dascalescu wrote:
>>> http://n2.nabble.com/nginx-f2469901.html
>>>
>> There is no "prev" or "Next"! How do you get to older stuff in nabble?
>>

> That's because Nabble started archiving the mailing list last week.

Thanks. I hadn't thought of that.
> This is a LARGE problem with mailing lists that I don't see anyone
> mentioning: the MUAs don't get old messages.
>
> If you're on a mailing list, you only have the messages from the date
> you subscribed. If you want to search for something, you need to go to
> the mailing list archive. That archive is very much equivalent to a
> forum, so why not just use a forum in the first place?

Its easier to drop out of a forum but the list messages just keep
coming, so I suspect that community growth is easier and more stable on
a list.

Searching old messages in an archive is slow and hits the server hard.
Lets leave that for those who need it.

A forum is on-line only and therefore unattractive for people paying
metered connection charges.

I want both. Emailed messages and a browsable archive.

Ian