How to always have the latest nginx version in Ubuntu/Debian

Merlin merlin at mahalo.com
Tue Mar 24 03:17:58 MSK 2009

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 4:11 PM, Mark Alan <varia at e-healthexpert.org> wrote:

> Merlin wrote:
>
>> Mark,
>>
>> Why not just use apt-get source to get the source package of nginx; wget
>> the latest nginx; copy the debian/ directory from the source package
>>

> Come on, with a new nginx 0.7.4x coming out every day?

I don't know what list you're on that I'm not but I'd love to see the daily
nginx release list ;).

The reported procedure is a faster and gets the job done rather well.

Neither procedure is any faster than the other (both can be scripted down to
one invocation and the configure/build process will take the same amount of
time!), but the original method *appears* to get the job done rather well -
if you don't care about possibly breaking your debian installation.

Personally, I like things to be easy to inspect/add/remove/update with the
tools that are built into the distrobution.  This is not to say your method
is "wrong" or even that it will break anything; I merely offer another way
to do things more in-line with the way other things are done in the
distrobution.

$ dpkg -l | grep nginx
ii     nginx                0.7.44-1               small, but very powerful
and efficient web server

I bet yours still says 0.6.32-3.

- Merlin