nginx + ip_nonlocal_bind

Tristan Griffiths tristan.griffiths at stomp.com.au
Fri May 1 10:26:55 MSD 2009

Greetings.

We would like to setup our Nginx instances in a HA pair. Using
Heartbeat, we have Nginx listening on virtual addresses on the active
server.

On the passive server, we cannot get Nginx to start up because those
virtual (or floating) address are not configured on the server until
Heartbeat detects a failover condition.

Is Nginx able to bind to a non-local IP address? We've tried setting the
ip_nonlocal_bind kernel option with no luck.

Some important information:

# nginx -v
nginx version: nginx/0.7.53

Starting nginx: [emerg]: bind() to 213.167.72.152:80 failed (98: Address
already in use)

CentOS 5.3

<config>
server {
    listen 213.167.72.152:80 default;
</config>

Any other settings we should provide?

OT: Many thanks for the excellent software.

Thanks,

Griff