Is anyone else amazed at how many people use nginx on Windows?

Matt Lewandowsky matt at nepheliad.net
Thu May 7 13:07:17 MSD 2009

"Michael Shadle" <mike503 at gmail.com> wrote on Wednesday, May 06, 2009 at
2:37 PM:

> I mean.... really?
>
> If you're looking for performance, is Windows really your target OS?
> and security?
>
> Not to mention things like php-fpm don't exist...
>
> I've been surprised at the demand for nginx on Windows. I figure
> people running nginx are looking for a high performance solution, and
> why anyone would run Windows for python/perl/php/fastcgi stuff makes
> me very confused. I'd only run Windows if I needed .NET/ASP/something
> Windows-y.
>
> Oh well :)

Personally, a native build of nginx on Windows is interesting to me. There
are no good, small native httpds which are capable of IPv6 at this time. As
I don't do Cygwin, that version was uninteresting to me. I was looking into
the feasibility of getting it to run under either UWIN and/or Interix (aka
SFU/SUA), as those are my normal POSIXy environments on Windows machines. I
have a number of Windows machines that I occasionally want to put static
content on, which only are reachable via IPv6, and IIS is seriously too
heavy for static content. So, if Igor's build works, and well, I'm all for
it. Of course, it'd be better if we could build it ourselves for any
customizations which one would like, but meh.

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents, whatever they're worth in the current global
economy.

Warmest,

--Matt