basic-authentication and php?

Ian Hobson ian at ianhobson.co.uk
Fri May 22 21:12:50 MSD 2009

Jim Ohlstein wrote:

> Ian Hobson wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I'm trying to set up basic authentication to protect an area of the
>> website served by php.
>>
>> The critical bits of my server directive are.
>>
>> server (
>>   listen 80;
>>   server_name  site.com  www.site.com;
>>   root /var/www/site.com/htdocs;
>>   index  index.php index.html index.htm;
>>   access_log  /var/www/site.com/access.log;
>>
>>   location ~ \.php {
>>      include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
>>      fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
>>   }
>>
>>   location ^~ /usage/ {
>>      auth_basic "Hello, Please login";
>>      auth_basic_user_file /var/www/site.com/passwords;
>>   }
>>
>>   location ^~ /ppg/ {
>>      auth_basic "Hello, Please login";
>>      auth_basic_user_file /var/www/site.com/passwords;
>>   }
> I would try
>
> location ^~ /ppg/ {
>     auth_basic "Hello, Please login";
>     auth_basic_user_file /var/www/site.com/passwords;
>     include /etc/nginx/fastcgi_params;
>     fastcgi_pass 127.0.0.1:9000;
>  }

Hi Jim,

I tried that, and got no style sheet, so I presumed that static files
were not being served. However, you are right. It works.

However, the error long in FireFox is telling me....

Error: The stylesheet http://www.site.com/ppg/css/style.css was not
loaded because its MIME type, "text/html", is not "text/css".
Source File: http://www.site.com/ppg/
Line: 0

I've checked /etc/nginx/mine-types, and it claims type text/css  for css
files, and the default-type is application/octet-stream.

So now I'm really confused.

Ian

p.s IE 6.0 is not so fussy. It simply leaves out some of the images :(