Multiple IP alias to be used with Nginx

Jérôme Loyet jerome at loyet.net
Fri May 29 22:08:40 MSD 2009

2009/5/29 Payam Chychi <pchychi at gmail.com>:
> Hey guys,
>
> had a question for anyone that is utilizing massive amount of ip alise
> on *nix* to allow proper ip listening for nginx. I currently have
> 1x/24 and 1x/23 network that i need nginx to listen for... I also run
> independent config files for each unique ip address on the box which
> listens for an active ip address/adapter on the server. Ive had to
> turn to using ip alise for this function to work properly but its
> really a crappy way of doing this (having over 700 ip alise is not
> something an admin would want to have) so is there a way to force
> nginx to listen to an ip addresses/request that are not active on the
> box? I am utilizing a Load balancer in an DSR mode...

do you mean that on your real server the VIP are not mounted ?

I use a similar architecture with LVS and direct routing (should be
the same as DSR). And on the real server each VIP is mounted on
loopback and the system is told not to respond to ARP request for
loopback interfaces coming on ethernet interface (play with
net/ipv4/conf/*/arp_ignore and
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*/arp_announce). This way, each real server
has its own VIP and nginx (or other softwares) can listen on them.

hope it helps