Occupancy of SSL connections?

edwh2 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Nov 12 17:15:14 MSK 2009

> On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 05:34:12PM +0000, Edward
> Hibbert wrote:
>
> > For HTTP connections, I can get about 20K
> connections and outstanding requests in 116MB,
> which is pretty respectable.
> >
> > However with HTTPS, what I see is that:
> > - having the connection open takes 261MB for
> about 16K connections
> > - having the connection open with an outstanding
> request takes about 1GB for 10L connections.

Using the OpenSSL 1.0 (thanks for the suggestion, Cliff) there's a significant drop in occupancy.
- 16K open connections now takes ~277MB (noise level difference from previous measurement)
- 16K connections with the outstanding GET request now takes ~1GB (down from estimated 1.6GB previously)

So there's still a massive occupancy cost of having an outstanding GET request in the HTTPS case, which is surprising.  Looks like I'd better roll my sleeves up and dig into the code.

Edward.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,21531,22356#msg-22356