nginx high i/o

Stefanita Rares Dumitrescu katmai at keptprivate.com
Sat Nov 21 16:19:16 MSK 2009

         fastcgi_max_temp_file_size 0;
This directive turns off fastcgi buffering according to the source code.

i did this, and the buffer errors are gone. however, the pages load very
very slow. take about 5-10 seconds to load the page.

could it be my php-fpm.conf ?

the thing is why i am going nuts about this is because the same exact
config (same nginx/php-fpm), i am running on a centos server, and i am
able to push over 200 mb/s and everything works perfectly fine.

i switched over to freebsd to squeeze some more performance out of the
server though.

also i have noticed that when more and more connections are established
to the server, my php-cgi processes are frozen in "sbwait" state:

32514 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14252K sbwait 4   0:12  0.00% php-cgi
32562 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14212K sbwait 2   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32577 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14240K sbwait 6   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32479 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14244K sbwait 0   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32475 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14256K sbwait 0   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32497 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14228K sbwait 0   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32527 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14208K sbwait 1   0:11  0.00% php-cgi
32564 nobody      1   4    0 60816K 14192K sbwait 4   0:10  0.00% php-cgi

posted php-fpm.conf below.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<configuration>

         All relative paths in this config are relative to php's install
prefix

         <section name="global_options">

                 Pid file
                 <value
name="pid_file">/usr/local/kphp/logs/php-fpm.pid</value>

                 Error log file
                 <value
name="error_log">/usr/local/kphp/logs/php-fpm.log</value>

                 Log level
                 <value name="log_level">notice</value>

                 When this amount of php processes exited with SIGSEGV
or SIGBUS ...
                 <value name="emergency_restart_threshold">10</value>

                 ... in a less than this interval of time, a graceful
restart will be initiated.
                 Useful to work around accidental curruptions in
accelerator's shared memory.
                 <value name="emergency_restart_interval">1m</value>

                 Time limit on waiting child's reaction on signals from
master
                 <value name="process_control_timeout">5s</value>

                 Set to 'no' to debug fpm
                 <value name="daemonize">yes</value>

         </section>

         <workers>

                 <section name="pool">

                         Name of pool. Used in logs and stats.
                         <value name="name">nginx</value>

                         Address to accept fastcgi requests on.
                         Valid syntax is 'ip.ad.re.ss:port' or just
'port' or '/path/to/unix/socket'
                         <value name="listen_address">127.0.0.1:8000</value>

                         <value name="listen_options">

                                 Set listen(2) backlog
                                 <value name="backlog">-1</value>

                                 Set permissions for unix socket, if one
used.
                                 In Linux read/write permissions must be
set in order to allow connections from web server.
                                 Many BSD-derrived systems allow
connections regardless of permissions.
                                 <value name="owner"></value>
                                 <value name="group"></value>
                                 <value name="mode">0666</value>
                         </value>

                         Additional php.ini defines, specific to this
pool of workers.
                         <value name="php_defines">
                 <!--            <value
name="sendmail_path">/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i</value>            -->
                 <!--            <value name="display_errors">0</value>
                                                          -->
                         </value>

                         Unix user of processes
                         <value name="user">nobody</value>

                         Unix group of processes
                         <value name="group">nobody</value>

                         Process manager settings
                         <value name="pm">

                                 Sets style of controling worker process
count.
                                 Valid values are 'static' and 'apache-like'
                                 <value name="style">static</value>

                                 Sets the limit on the number of
simultaneous requests that will be served.
                                 Equivalent to Apache MaxClients directive.
                                 Equivalent to PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN
environment in original php.fcgi
                                 Used with any pm_style.
                                 <value name="max_children">128</value>

                                 Settings group for 'apache-like' pm style
                                 <value name="apache_like">

                                         Sets the number of server
processes created on startup.
                                         Used only when 'apache-like'
pm_style is selected
                                         <value
name="StartServers">32</value>

                                         Sets the desired minimum number
of idle server processes.
                                         Used only when 'apache-like'
pm_style is selected
                                         <value
name="MinSpareServers">32</value>

                                         Sets the desired maximum number
of idle server processes.
                                         Used only when 'apache-like'
pm_style is selected
                                         <value
name="MaxSpareServers">64</value>

                                 </value>

                         </value>

                         The timeout (in seconds) for serving a single
request after which the worker process will be terminated
                         Should be used when 'max_execution_time' ini
option does not stop script execution for some reason
                         '0s' means 'off'
                         <value name="request_terminate_timeout">0s</value>

                         The timeout (in seconds) for serving of single
request after which a php backtrace will be dumped to slow.log file
                         '0s' means 'off'
                         <value name="request_slowlog_timeout">0s</value>

                         The log file for slow requests
                         <value name="slowlog">logs/slow.log</value>

                         Set open file desc rlimit
                         <value name="rlimit_files">2048</value>

                         Set max core size rlimit
                         <value name="rlimit_core">0</value>

                         Chroot to this directory at the start, absolute
path
                         <value name="chroot"></value>

                         Chdir to this directory at the start, absolute path
                         <value name="chdir"></value>

                         Redirect workers' stdout and stderr into main
error log.
                         If not set, they will be redirected to
/dev/null, according to FastCGI specs
                         <value name="catch_workers_output">yes</value>

                         How much requests each process should execute
before respawn.
                         Useful to work around memory leaks in 3rd party
libraries.
                         For endless request processing please specify 0
                         Equivalent to PHP_FCGI_MAX_REQUESTS
                         <value name="max_requests">500</value>

                         Comma separated list of ipv4 addresses of
FastCGI clients that allowed to connect.
                         Equivalent to FCGI_WEB_SERVER_ADDRS environment
in original php.fcgi (5.2.2+)
                         Makes sense only with AF_INET listening socket.
                         <value name="allowed_clients">127.0.0.1</value>

                         Pass environment variables like LD_LIBRARY_PATH
                         All $VARIABLEs are taken from current environment
                         <value name="environment">
                                 <value name="HOSTNAME">$HOSTNAME</value>
                                 <value
name="PATH">/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin</value>
                                 <value name="TMP">/tmp</value>
                                 <value name="TMPDIR">/tmp</value>
                                 <value name="TEMP">/tmp</value>
                                 <value name="OSTYPE">$OSTYPE</value>
                                 <value name="MACHTYPE">$MACHTYPE</value>
                                 <value name="MALLOC_CHECK_">2</value>
                         </value>

                 </section>

         </workers>