Nginx + proxy_store + flv/mp4

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Mon Oct 5 22:33:50 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 01:19:10PM -0400, benjinx wrote:

> To be clear, I'm actually specifically using the h264/mp4 module now. As far as I've understood
> you don't seek through bytes but rather time when you seek flv/mp4 files since byte!=time... perhaps
> I'm mistaken and those flv/mp4 mods are unnecessary?

For flv, player just reports byte position to start downloading
from, as calculated (by the player) from embedded metadata.

Basically player may do the same thing without any server modules -
just by using normal http partial downloads via Range header.  No
idea why they don't do this - probably the reason is limited http
client support inside Flash.

For mp4, player reports times, and this won't work without module
which is able to parse mp4 file content and convert this to byte
positions (and a bunch of server-side work otherwise unneeded).
No idea why people use this for streaming.