how to add Cache-Control: public to static files

Jauder Ho lists at ruby-forum.com
Tue Oct 6 06:17:20 MSD 2009

Hi, I have nginx set up to serve static content and to set it to maximum
expires currently. However, I would also like to set the Cache-Control
flag to public so that proxies will know that this is okay to cache.
However, when I try this using the add_header directive, this adds an
additional Cache-Control: header instead of modifying the existing one.

nginx config fragment:
    location ~* ^.+\.(jpg|jpeg|gif|png|ico)$ {
        access_log off;
        expires max;
        add_header Cache-Control public;
    }