Nginx - SMTP no authentication

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat Oct 10 14:28:55 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 01:52:36AM +0200, Anto binish Kasoar wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> Please help me to configure SMTP without authentication on ngnix. I have
> even applied the patch, which is given in this url
> http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/187018#new . I am running postfix in the

This wasn't a good idea, patch in question isn't needed neither
for version mentioned nor for any up to date.

Though this isn't related to the "problem" you see.

> same server and ngnix mail is running in the 225, my configuration looks
> like this
>

> mail {
> #    proxy_pass_error_message  on;
>     auth_http  http://127.0.0.1:8080/mail/auth;
>     xclient    off;
>
>     server {
>         listen     225;
>         protocol   smtp;
>         smtp_auth  plain;

[...]

> is there anything wrong with my configuration? when i am tring to telnet
> to sever to the port 225, i am getting the following
>
> telnet mailserver 225
> 220 mailserver ESMTP ready
> helo
> 501 5.5.4 Invalid argument

"HELO" command requires an "domain" argument.  See RFC 5321 for
details.

> mail from:test at test.com
> 530 5.7.1 Authentication required

You configured nginx with "smtp_auth plain" and try to send mail
without authentication.  "Authentication required" is expected and
correct reply.