Configuration options

Igor Sysoev igor at sysoev.ru
Wed Oct 14 17:29:17 MSD 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 10:25:21PM +0200, Steve wrote:

> Hallo all
>
> I have a bunch of questions regarding the configuration switches at compile time.
>
> 1) Assuming I would set "--without-http" does that then automatically sets the following switches as well or do I need to set them explicitly?
>   --without-http_charset_module
>   --without-http_gzip_module
>   --without-http_ssi_module
>   --without-http_userid_module
>   --without-http_access_module
>   --without-http_auth_basic_module
>   --without-http_autoindex_module
>   --without-http_geo_module
>   --without-http_map_module
>   --without-http_referer_module
>   --without-http_rewrite_module
>   --without-http_proxy_module
>   --without-http_fastcgi_module
>   --without-http_memcached_module
>   --without-http_limit_zone_module
>   --without-http_limit_req_module
>   --without-http_empty_gif_module
>   --without-http_browser_module
>   --without-http_upstream_ip_hash_module

The "--without-http" option disables HTTP functionality and all HTTP
modules as well.

> 2) Do I see that right when disabling PCRE I need to set "--without-http_rewrite_module" (assuming I have HTTP enabled) as well since the rewrite module is using PCRE?

Yes. However, if PCRE is installed on system, then nginx may find and use it.
You may disable it using
     --without-pcre

Note, that in this case you will be unable to use regexes in locations, etc.

> 3) Do I see that right that when I want to use the FastCGI module inside nginx then I need as well to set "--with-http_realip_module"?

No. The ngx_http_realip_module is usually required if nginx is installed
behind some proxy.

> 4) Do I see that right that if I want to use IMAP4/POP3/SMTP proxy support then I need to set "--with-mail" and that I can disable any of the 3 by using either "--without-mail_pop3_module" and/or "--without-mail_imap_module" and/or "--without-mail_smtp_module"?

Yes.

> 5) If I would like to use pure IMAP4/POP3/SMTP proxy support, do I then need to enable any of the --with-http_xxx options in order to have IMAP4/POP3/SMTP proxy support or can I disable it completely (aka: "--without-http")?

You need just "--without-http".

> 6) How does disabling HTTP cache (--without-http-cache) affect any other HTTP related module?

You will not be able to cache proxy and FastCGI responses. That is all.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/