Launch FastCGI process?

Johan Bergström johan at bergstroem.nu
Wed Oct 21 10:13:31 MSD 2009

Hey,
my take on "why shouldn't nginx spawn php" below.

On 21 okt 2009, at 07.44, jlist9 wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> In fact, if it's integrated it is already better :-)
>
> Although lighttpd has the spawn-fcgi tool, it still integrates this
> functionality
> into lighttpd itself and this makes setting up simple servers and
> managing
> them a lot more easier!
>
> As a matter of fact, I don't quite understand why the replies so far
> are mostly
> negative about integrating a nice feature into nginx. I think a lot
> of lighttpd
> users are using this feature and like it a lot. It's only an option
> in lighttpd
> and you don't have to use it. Phillip mentioned that if a child
> process is
> bad it may bring down the web server. I have never seen this myself.
> What I have seen is, if the fcgi process throws an exception and
> exits,
> lighttpd automatically starts another one. How nice! I really hope
> nginx
> does it, too!

That's because it's not a web servers job to handle php (or python or
whatever). Php-fpm already does a splendid job of spawning and
maintaining php processes, so I think you should look into that.

Coming from an Apache-world it would probably make sense for nginx to
handle "everything" in your web sphere, but one of the reasons Nginx
is so fast and agile is that its focus is handling http requests and
passing them along, not the other stuff.