Load balancing PHP via Nginx...

Jeffrey 'jf' Lim jfs.world at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:03:32 MSD 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Ilan Berkner <iberkner at gmail.com> wrote:

> The problem that we're experiencing is that our single web server is
> getting "flooded" (not in a bad way) with a lot of incoming connections, our
> site is growing (yey).  So I'm trying to figure out the best way to
> accommodate the growth.  In our case, nginx itself is humming along just
> fine, but PHP is choking on requests both due to quantity of requests (it
> can't process them fast enough so there's growing queue) as well as due to
> delays in database (I think).  So I'm upgrading the database and looking to
> add another web server box both to off load some of the load, as well as
> serve as a backup box, etc.

well it looks like you need to figure out where your bottleneck is.

> What I don't know how to do "well" yet, is how to maintain the code base
> the same across the 2 boxes (will using a shared directory work?)

sure. Better cache those files locally! this is where you'll have to do some
work (ie., "research") into the shared file systems to use.

-jf

--
In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not