Conflicting server name - i don't understand

Igor Sysoev is at rambler-co.ru
Thu Sep 3 16:17:19 MSD 2009

On Wed, Sep 02, 2009 at 08:47:39AM +0100, Nuno Magalh??es wrote:

> > This does not generate any errors.
> Glad to hear it.
>

> > (Yes, I also don't like the www prefix.)
> Do you have a specific reason for using two server{ } for the same
> domain? Other than
>
> > This also is *exactly* how Igor suggested that I do it.
>

> > But even if I didn't do it that way I would still use separate servers for
> > 80 and 443 for the same domain.
>
> Does the listen directive accept multiple values? Or does the server
> accept multiple listen directives? The latter seems to be true
> according to the wiki, so why the separation?

There can be several "listen" directive in one server. You can even
use HTTPS/HTTP site in single server:

server {
    listen  80;
    listen  443  default ssl;

    ssl_certificate ...
    ssl etc.

if these sites has very little difference.
However, it's better to separate them for future administration relief
and "include" common parts.

--
Igor Sysoev
http://sysoev.ru/en/