general question about number of connections...

Gabriel Ramuglia gabe at vtunnel.com
Sat Sep 5 08:44:54 MSD 2009

Depends what you're measuring. In general, that's quite a lot of
connections, something apache would never be able to handle properly.
Of course, if you're handling 2000 connections with nginx but you only
have, say, 100 php clients going at one time, that might be workable,
especially if most of the open connections are just because of a long
keep-alive period.

If on the other hand you have 2000 copies of php running, even if each
isn't doing a whole lot, you're wasting a lot of resources by making
the OS task-switch between so many processes. If the reason you have
so many processes open is because you're waiting on a slow database,
you could potentially speed up the web server by speeding up the
database server. Fewer open copies of php would lead to less cpu time
being wasted on task switching and related overhead. Of course, if
each php process is doing any tangible amount of work, then 2000
connections is probably too many.

In the end, my gut instinct is that 2000 connections to a server
handling php is quite a lot.  Although quad core opteron @ 2.33ghz is
no slouch, I think you'll find the intel core2quad to be quite a bit
faster, and should be cheaper as well. If it costs less than twice as
much as the core2quad, a dual quad xeon would be ideal; in my
experience it performs almost twice as fast as a core2quad, and
roughly three times as fast as what you're using now..

-Gabe