Proxy_pass and remote_addr

Johan Bergström johan at bergstroem.nu
Mon Sep 14 01:18:51 MSD 2009

Good evening,

I know I'm not the first to ask - but I can't seem to find an answer
on this mailing list, hence yet another question regarding passing
remote_addr.

I'm proxying IIS 6.0 (with a caching nginx) which unfortunately can't
handle accepting X-Forwarded-For and the likes. The application I'm
running is so much enterprise that even thinking about implementing
support for XFF would cost gazillions of dollars :-( I've been playing
around with trying to overwrite remote_addr with the 'current' one but
unfortunately haven't found a way.

Is it possible to pass a client ip to a proxy backend through
remote_addr (and not setting your own X-*)?

Thanks,
Johan Bergström