Full request line variable

Wohbah 2947779 at deadaddress.com
Sun Sep 20 06:17:15 MSD 2009

Igor,

Thank you, but I believe the answers were given too fast.

(0) We already considered default servers
(1) $request_uri is not the actual, full, HTTP request line
(2) nginx has NO way to match ^http after GET (that we found)
(3) I suggest a new variable,

$full_request_line =
FULL TRUE HTTP REQUEST LINE
   - INCLUDING GET/PUT/POST/HEAD VERB
   - INCLUDING SCHEME
   - REGARDLESS OF SERVER BLOCK

That would be fully general.

We require that raw IP address reach our working server.
So http://1.2.3.4/ must work like http://goodhostname.com/
and can't go to a "_" 444 block as you suggest.

We already thought of that and tried it a long time ago.

But proxy attempts use http://1.2.3.4 too, so they can only be
defeated with regular expressions.  In nginx, this matching is
nearly impossible, because of hidden assumptions in the
software.

Please consider $full_request_line for future improvement,
thank you.  Nginx is excellent and we appreciate your work.