limit_req truncating responses

brianf nginx-forum at nginx.us
Mon Sep 28 01:59:07 MSD 2009

Hello,
I'm seeing some undocumented behavior when using limit_req and limit_req_zone. It seems that connections that should be delayed are actually being truncated in the middle. I see this using multiple clients both as errors in the clients and by inspecting the actual file. I found a reference to another user seeing this here: http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/173021 but I don't see anything there to help stop it.

I have configured my zone for now exactly as the docs:
limit_req_zone  $binary_remote_addr  zone=one:10m   rate=1r/s;

and my location as:
limit_req zone=one burst=5000;

I run a series of file transfers and it cuts off at the same truncated file regardless if the burst is 5, 50, or 5000

I'm running .7.62 on RHEL.

Any suggestions on how to avoid the truncated files, and why the burst level seems to not have any effect?

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,9556,9556#msg-9556