Why named shared memory zones

Marcus Clyne maccaday at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 20:51:38 MSD 2009

Igor Sysoev wrote:
> In my opinion
>
> proxy_cache_path   /data/nginx/cache  levels=1:2   keys_zone=ONE:10m
>                    inactive=1h        max_size=1g;
>
> is clearer and more expansible: you just need to add new keywords.

I see your point, I just personally prefer the shorter syntax, and if
you are familiar with the syntax, I think it's quicker to read

proxy_cache_path  /data/nginx/cache  1:2  ONE  10m  1h  1g;

How about offering both?  You could have a syntax that included the
key/value pairs and one that had the shorter syntax with a specific
ordering.  That would mean that admins could choose the version they prefer.

Just an idea.

Thanks,

Marcus.