limit_req truncating responses

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Sep 29 11:37:43 MSD 2009

Hello!

On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 12:11:02AM -0400, brianf wrote:

> Just a follow up to some more observed behavior:
>
> It seems that if I set the burst number low enough to trigger 503's with my tests, the system continuously returns 503 until i restart nginx. Is this another known bug?

Current implementation counts requests against rate limit even if
it returns 503.  So if you have

    limit_req_zone  ...  rate=1r/s;
    limit_req  burst=10;

and did 100 requests at a time (90 of which returned 503) - you
have to wait 100 seconds until next request will be allowed.

And yes, it's known issue.