NGINX Caching

Cliff Wells cliff at develix.com
Mon Apr 19 06:47:00 MSD 2010

On Sun, 2010-04-18 at 21:25 -0500, Ryan Malayter wrote:
> On Thursday, April 15, 2010, cls <nginx-forum at nginx.us> wrote:
> > I'm a little confused by "fastcgi".  What are the benefits of using
> fastcgi as my proxy "protocol" rather than standard HTTP?
> >
> Most interpreted HTTP servers are slow, single threaded, and generally
> don't work great at scale. Not sure about perl, but this is definitely
> true for Ruby, .net, and others.

There are plenty of fast HTTP servers written in interpreted languages.
In fact, I can not think of a single example that has your described
limitations nor what these suggested limitations may have to do with
HTTP versus FastCGI.   The slowness of the application will matter far
more than the protocol used.

Regards,
Cliff