forum <-> ML gateway

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Sat Apr 24 17:59:46 MSD 2010

On 4/24/10 9:18 AM, Maxim Dounin wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Sat, Apr 24, 2010 at 09:00:31AM -0400, Jim Ohlstein wrote:
>
>> On 4/24/10 6:06 AM, Alejandro Mery wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> any idea why the forum/mailing list gateway ignores my replies? do I
>>> need to register there or there are certain "tokens" I need to include
>>> in the reply?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Alejandro Mery
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,78723,78723#msg-78723
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,78633,78721#msg-78721
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,78144,78321#msg-78321
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,77119,77791#msg-77791
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,77119,77124#msg-77124
>>
>> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,74496,74650#msg-74650
>>

>> Can you point me to other mailing list replies that seem to be missing?
>
> Here is recent example I've happen to find in russian mailing
> list.  Forum thread:
>
> http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,75571,75571#msg-75571
>
> And here is coresponding one in mailing list archive (with 4 extra
> messages):
>
> http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-April/033631.html
> http://nginx.org/pipermail/nginx-ru/2010-April/thread.html#33631

The four "extra" messages are there. They were placed in separate threads.

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,75581

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,75621

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,75911

http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?21,76601

This is a known issue with parsing non-Latin characters. It doesn't
happen often in English forum, if ever, and only occasionally in the
Russian forum. Since I don't read the Russian mailing list/forum, I
don't really see it. I am open to anyone who actually is interested and
able to do so to take on the job of merging the threads. I will happily
assign moderator powers for such. I doubt it would take more than 5
minutes per day for someone who reads Russian. For me it is character
recognition without understanding what I am reading in the subject and
is fairly tedious. For someone with even cursory understanding of
Russian it should be quite simple.

> And in some cases messages are actually available in forum but
> disappear after reply in forum.

Sorry Maxim, but this is impossible. A post can only "disappear" if it
is specifically deleted by myself. Sometimes *new* posts and threads are
caught in the spam traps I have in place. This prevents most forum based
spam from getting out to the mailing lists but traps many legitimate
entries as well. The reason is that one of the criteria for determining
if something is spam is many URL's in an entry. So it happens more often
than I'd like. Once in a while a person gets frustrated and enters a
second post that goes through. In such cases I might delete the original
if the content was more or less the same. In such cases, however, the
entry was never visible. In any event, I check for such entries several
times a day. The longest span is my overnight hours which unfortunately
might go into the early to mid afternoon in Moscow time. Again, I am
open to someone in a European time zone having access to approve such
messages.

Separately, there was until recently an error in processing entries to
the Russian announcement forum. As a result some entries are missing.
That was my fault and was due to an error I created when I changed
servers. That has been corrected and the announcement for nginx 0.8.36
was included as it should have been.

Anyone interested in helping out in any way can feel free to contact me
off-list.

--
Jim Ohlstein