nginx 0.7.64 ignoring Cache-Control headers

Kura nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Feb 7 01:10:53 MSK 2010

Hey guys, I apologise if this is covered in another topic, I have searched many pages on the forum and not come across this issue.

I'm using nginx v. 0.7.64 with the following: --with-debug --with-http_stub_status_module --with-http_flv_module --with-http_ssl_module --with-http_dav_module --with-http_gzip_static_module --with-mail --with-mail_ssl_module --with-ipv6

I've configured a host to reverse proxy to Apache with proxy_store enabled:

        location / {
                proxy_pass http://localhost:8080;
                proxy_redirect off;

                proxy_set_header Host $host;

                client_max_body_size 10m;
                client_body_buffer_size 128k;

                proxy_connect_timeout 90;
                proxy_send_timeout 90;
                proxy_read_timeout 90;

                proxy_buffer_size 4k;
                proxy_buffers 4 32k;
                proxy_busy_buffers_size 64k;
                proxy_temp_file_write_size 64k;

                if ($request_uri ~ /$) {
                        set $store_extra index.html;
                }

                proxy_store /tmp/nginx/$http_host/${uri}${store_extra};
                proxy_store_access user:rw  group:rw  all:r;
        }

And placed several test PHP files in to the host directory with different Cache-Control headers

1.php
<?
header("Cache-Control: private,max-age=0");
echo "test";
?>

2.php
<?
header("Cache-Control: public,max-age=3600");
echo "test";
?>

When I access both files with Firefox and inspect their headers using Live HTTP Headers I can see that the correct Cache-Control headers are there, yet nginx is ignoring them and caching both files.

Am I missing a module or a patch? I was advised in another post that this was one of the ways to control which files nginx actually cached and this seemed like the best approach to it.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,51545,51545#msg-51545