"charset" ignored / not set for proxied content-type text/css resources

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Feb 9 00:37:25 MSK 2010

Hello!

On Mon, Feb 08, 2010 at 10:08:57PM +0100, Daniel Hahler wrote:

> I have the following config, where I've recently added "charset utf-8"
> so that the correct charset is used.
>
> This works for application/x-javascript files (where "; charset=utf-8"
> gets added), but apparently gets ignored for "text/css" (which is not
> modified).
>
>     location /media/cache {
>         expires max;
>         charset utf-8;
>         proxy_pass http://10.122.x.x;
>     }
>
> I've verified that this config part gets used by commenting the
> "expires" line.
>
> This looks like a bug to me.
>
> I've noticed it with 0.7.62, but it's the same with 0.8.33.

As of now, by default charset module works only with the following
types:

text/html
text/xml
text/plain
text/vnd.wap.wml
application/x-javascript
application/rss+xml

You may add more types via charset_types directive, see here (in
Russian):

http://sysoev.ru/nginx/docs/http/ngx_http_charset_module.html#charset_types

There is no translation of this directive description in wiki yet,
feel free to add one.