Howto to modify headers returned by proxied server

Paul Swielingen lists at ruby-forum.com
Thu Feb 11 01:11:58 MSK 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to create a reverse proxy towards various web-enabled
equipment.
Things are starting to work.

I run into the following problem:
Sometimes my some of web enabled equipment returns a request for basic
authentication. The header has a format which causes problems. Example:

WWW-Authenticate: Digest  realm="...", domain="/", etc

I think the domain="/" causes the problem: Each of my web-enabled
equipment has its own location <some url> {} definition. I think the
domain="/" should either not be there or list domain="/<some url>. Nginx
forwards the header unchanged to the browser causing a basic
authentication prompt. I guess after that the browser sends the uid/pw
to nginx for url=/ (which does not lead back to the proper location
<some url> {} definition

How can I rewrite/modify this header?

kind regards
  Paul Swielingen