NGiNX does not pass SMTP AUTH command to server?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sun Feb 28 15:41:11 MSK 2010

Hello!

On Sun, Feb 28, 2010 at 10:18:59PM +1100, Andree Leidenfrost wrote:

> NGiNX authenticates fine for IMAP and POP3. Is it not somewhat
> inconsistent that it does not authenticate for SMTP? Especially as it
> seems to work the second time??? If the SMTP server can take care of
> authentication in the first place, would it not be a good thing to
> utilise this rather than relying on an additional authentication
> mechanism?

It is believed that there is no need to re-authenticate against
smtp backend as it doesn't provide any additional value (unlike
POP3 and IMAP where it's required to obtain access to specific
mailbox).

> Has the patch you mention actually been put in front of the Postfix
> people?

AFAIK, no.  But I may be wrong, I'm not the author of the patch
in question.

> I have no idea what RFCs may exist for this xclient stuff (and I
> have not really been able to find anything definitive on this on the
> internet),

XCLIENT was originally implemented in Postfix, and there is no
RFC.  There is also patch for Exim to support it (developed by
Vsevolod Stakhov, cebka.pp.ru; the patch was made for nginx and
supports LOGIN attribute).

[...]

Maxim Dounin

p.s. Please do not top-post.  Thank you.