Filtering out non-HTTP requests (400 errors)

Piotr Sikora piotr.sikora at frickle.com
Tue Jan 12 19:13:25 MSK 2010

> I guess moving to http checks *is* the way to go in the long run.

Yes it is. IMHO "TCP checks" give you false sense of safety, because you
think that everything works fine, while they only verify that connection is
accepted (on the TCP level) by the server... Proper checks *must* issue
command on application-level and parse server's response, otherwise they are
useless.

> BTW, I tried messing with $request and $request_uri but without success
> (I expected either an empty string or a dash, as in access.log).

Dash in logs means that given value wasn't present (v->not_found = 1). Also,
since we are talking about 400 Bad Request, you can't really expect
$request_uri to be set ;)

Best regards,
Piotr Sikora < piotr.sikora at frickle.com >