"alias" directive may not be used inside location given

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Jul 7 19:40:46 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Wed, Jul 07, 2010 at 02:32:57PM +0200, Fernando Perez wrote:

> I don't understand the following error:
>
> the "alias" directive may not be used inside location given by regular
> expression
>
> >From the docs it seems possible:
> http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpCoreModule#alias
>
> I'm running 0.7.38

Changes with nginx 0.7.40

    *) Feature: the "location" directive supports captures in regular
       expressions.

    *) Feature: an "alias" directive with capture references may be used
       inside a location given by a regular expression with captures.

It's just not in 0.7.38 (which is rather old, and from 0.7.*
branch when it wasn't yet marked stable).

It's time to upgrade.