Clever Redirect

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Jul 26 10:41:30 MSD 2010

Hello,

I might be trying to do this entirely the wrong way, but here's the plan:

I have a large number of machines on a private VLAN, behind a
firewall, and without publicly routeable IP addresses.  I want to be
able to hit a page (the same page) on each of them, from a known,
remote location.  I don't wish to set up 90 different IPs on the
external firewall.  What I thought I could do was something like this:

* Have nginx listening on a machine with an external IP address.
* Hit http://nginx-server.com/$servername
* Have nginx go to http://$servername/mypage.xml and return it to the
initial requestor

I have this working with a nasty cgi script, but it seems to me as if
this could be done better.  Am I right?  If so, how would I go about
it?

Thanks,

S.

--