ip based access behind nginx load balancer

Reinis Rozitis r at roze.lv
Fri Jun 11 23:21:32 MSD 2010

For "transparent" mode you need a layer 4 load balancer where the balancing
is done on tcp level rather than http ( which is layer 7 and is done by
nginx ) - something like 'haproxy' ( http://haproxy.1wt.eu/ ) or squid (
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Tproxy4 ).

In short - a simple http proxy can't do that.

You will also need either an old linux kernel (2.2 which can spoof the
client ips to backends) or afaik since 2.6.28 the tproxy support comes with
the kernel (older ones you would need to patch  (
http://www.balabit.com/support/community/products/tproxy/ )  ).

Using the header method allows you to skip the need of doing all that.

Regarding apache read my previous mail - about mod_realip2 ( it can make the
webserver to see the request incomming from clients rather than proxy ip ).

While of course nginx _could_ maybe do this also on its own I don't really
see this happening as in nginx + ( nginx / apache / lighty etc )
combinations the realip modules of each webserver accomplish the task pretty
fine in more simple and controllable way. There might be even an easy
solution for IIS to do the same.. but as I havent touched it for 10 years
can't help there :)

rr