Optimizing worker_processes, worker_connections & PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN - Any Good Tutorial?

Rahul Bansal rahul286 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 00:48:35 MSD 2010

@jerome

> no i mean memory used by the kernel to cache local files in order not
> to access file on hardrive. see output of free, the column "cached"

I already have that Cache it seems. Following is my output of Free command.

root at rtblogs:~# free
Mem:       1451740     483524     968216          0      61192     283196
-/+ buffers/cache:     139136    1312604
Swap:       262136          0     262136

I must thanks linode for this. But this always reduced my free memory by
huge amount.
I guess such situations force us to spend more time in deciding on what to
cache and how much to cache.
We have too many levels where we can cache and good thing about them is that
they all happily live together.

@jabberuser
>I recommend have few more workers than number of cores. On one of my
>overloaded dual core server I changed 2 worksers to 6, this reduced a
>lot IOwait and fixed latency problem when using site which is on this
>server. Play a bit with it to found best for you number of workers.

Thanks for suggestions.
I may go you way just in case fastcgi_cache in nginx improves my
performance.
In that case I will reduce value of PHP_FCGI_CHILDREN to offset it.

-Rahul