"worker process XXXXX exited on signal 11" following freeBSD -> Ubuntu migration

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Sat May 1 06:38:53 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 03:22:20AM -0400, DaleMcGrew wrote:

> Any advice on tracking down the cause of "worker process XXXXX
> exited on signal 11" errors? Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> We have been running NGINX 0.7.65 on freeBSD for a few months.
> Because of issues getting the fail-over to work properly, 1 week
> ago we migrated from freeBSD to Linux (Ubuntu) running version
> 0.7.65. In this first week, we saw perhaps 2 dozen "worker
> process XXXXX exited on signal 11" errors per hour and have been
> experiencing dropped web connections at a rate that seems to
> coincide with the "exited on signal 11" errors. We tried many
> different configuration changes, and finally this afternoon
> upgraded to 0.8.36. Unfortunately we continue to see the "worker
> process XXXXX exited on signal 11" errors.

Could you please show nginx -V output, and obtain coredump and
show backtrace?  Configuring something like this in nginx.conf
should be enough to obtain one even in Linux:

    working_directory /path/to/cores;
    worker_rlimit_core 500M;

Note that nginx workers should be able to write to /path/to/cores
directory.

Also please make sure you have no third party modules/patches
compiled in (and/or reproduce the problem without them, if any).

[...]

>         location / {
>             proxy_pass http://php5$request_uri;

Just curious: why do you use this form instead of

              proxy_pass http://php5;

?

[...]

>         # Add expires headers
>         location ~* ^.+\.(js)$ {

Just a note: there is no need to use "^.+".  And brackets just
produce capture which is not used.  The following string will do
the same with less cpu burn:

          location ~* \.js$ {

[...]