Problems with proxy_read_timeout

allenli nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri May 21 06:53:29 MSD 2010

Hi all
I am developing an Eclipse Rich Ajax application and try to do a load-balancing using NGINX, I am using a Server-Push mechenism that the server side will generate additional scripts back to the browser when a background event is fired on the server. In my observation this requires a connection to be established while most of the time doing nothing. I observed that a timeout of 60sec occurs when the Server-Push is activated and realized this may have something to do with proxy_read_timeout directive. I changed it to have a longer timeout(1h) and the application is ok now. My question is that are there any other work around as what I do might affect other common connections; And one thing that confuses me is that this happened only when I try load balance with additional servers, the application is working fine using the default value for proxy_read_timeout.

Thanks in advance.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,88681,88681#msg-88681