nginx 0.8.53/0.7.67 unable to return 304

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Nov 10 03:07:58 MSK 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 05:22:04PM -0500, rchen9012 wrote:

> need help with nginx configuration,  I had configured a very simple
> static file caching or direct from disk, but nginx did not return 304
> when if-modified-since header is in the request.
>

> if-modified-since exact;

Just a side note: there is no such directive; there is
if_modified_since one.

>         location / {
>
>             root   /www;
>             index  index.php index.html index.htm;
>             expires 1d;
>
>         }

The basic question is: how did you test?

Hint: never trust browsers and various "http headers" plugins, in
many cache-related cases they show incorrect info.  Looking what
happens on the wire (tcpdump, wireshark) or at least intercepting
traffic with debugging proxy (fiddler) is recommended.