Partial Requests (206) on Reverse Proxy Cache

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Nov 10 16:32:47 MSK 2010

Hello!

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 08:03:04AM -0500, niwo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we use an nginx reverse proxy cache to serve media file downloads.
> An issue we currently have is that for the first uncached requests to
> the proxy, nginx is unable to respond to partial-requests and returns
> HTTP 200 instead which results in errors for some download clients.

"Some download clients" probably have to be fixed, as 200 is
allowed response for range requests.

> Is there a workaround for this problem?

You may pass Range requests to backends with something like

    proxy_set_header Range $http_range;
    proxy_set_header If-Range $http_if_range;

and don't cache responses to these requests at all:

    proxy_no_cache $http_range $http_if_range;