Issue with upstream

Phil Bayfield phil at techlightenment.com
Tue Nov 16 18:02:00 MSK 2010

I had actually prefixed upstream and localhost 000 and everything else 100
to force them to load in the correct order.
On 1 particular domain it would throw that error unless it was loaded last,
hence just giving it a prefix 101 solved the issue.
Bit strange!

On 16 November 2010 14:49, Maxim Dounin <mdounin at mdounin.ru> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 01:16:25PM +0000, Phil Bayfield wrote:
>
> > I'm having some problems configuring upstream servers with localhost
> backup
> > (error page)
> >
> > upstream backend1 {
> >     server 1.2.3.4;
> >     server 2.3.4.5;
> >     server localhost backup;
> > }
> >
> > upstream backend2 {
> >     server 3.4.5.6;
> >     server 4.5.6.7;
> > }
> >
> > Works, but:
> >
> > upstream backend1 {
> >     server 1.2.3.4;
> >     server 2.3.4.5;
> >     server localhost backup;
> > }
> >
> > upstream backend2 {
> >     server 3.4.5.6;
> >     server 4.5.6.7;
> >     server localhost backup;
> > }
> >
> > Causes:
> >
> > Testing nginx configuration: [emerg]: invalid parameter "backup"
> >
> > Is this a bug?
>
> Most likely you used backend2 somewhere in proxy_pass before
> defining upstream backend2.  This is not generally supported and
> and shouldn't be allowed, but happens to "work" (though with
> several unexpected side effects) for now.
>
> Attached patch makes sure such configuration like
>
> server {
>    location / {
>        proxy_pass backend;
>    }
> }
>
> upstream backend {
> }
>
> will generate "upstream "backend" defined too late" error during
> configuration parsing.
>
> Maxim Dounin

Phil Bayfield
Developer
Techlightenment

3.08 Tea Building | 56 Shoreditch High St | London | E1 6JJ
t:   +44 (0) 8445814444
m: +44 (0) 7711117117
e:  phil at techlightenment.com
www.techlightenment.com