Tracking the start and complete of a download?

Eugaia ngx.eugaia at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 18:57:30 MSD 2010

  Hi,

On 16/10/2010 10:03, Manlio Perillo wrote:

>> I think you should be able to use the ngx_http_echo_module to achieve
>> this.  Just use an echo_subrequest directive to send a request to the
>> URL that you want.  This request will only be made once the upload has
>> completed.  Any other module that calls a subrequest after the files
>> have been uploaded should work too.
>>
>> One thing : if you don't know the server that you'll connect to at the
>> time the config file is read, you'll need to set up a resolver for DNS.
>>
> Another problem is that the external server should be able to process
> the same number of requests per second of the Nginx server.
>
> This is the reason why, as an example, Nginx does not support syslog.
Presumably if an upload tracker is required, the number of requests
relative to the volume of data transfer will be low (at least for this
type of operation on that server), so even if the other server isn't as
perfomant as Nginx, I don't think this should be a problem.

Robert could of course install Nginx on the other server as well, or
perhaps even just make a call to a FastCGI/WSGI process directly from
Nginx.  :-)

Cheers,

Marcus.