reverse proxy and too many temp files

roadfox nginx-forum at nginx.us
Thu Oct 28 01:16:02 MSD 2010

hi

we are using nginx as a reverse proxy in front of some webservers with
media files.
evrerithing works great beside when we start nginx new with an empty
cache.

in this situation allot of files in proxy_temp_path are create consuming
quite fast all our diskspace, in the same time proxy_cache_path is only
very slowly populated.

i see two parameters who might help:
proxy_cache_use_stale
proxy_max_temp_file_size

a quick test with *use_stale was not succesfull, but maybe something
else was wrong
and for proxy_max_temp_file_size=0 i'm not shure if it is the right
thing todo

what we would like to achieve is to uses as much of the diskspace for
caching. but on a restart with clean cache, not filling up the temp
folder which does not count to proxy_cache_path max_size.

or should we just reduce the workers (16) to provent from having to many
workers creating the same temp file for the same origin file?

cheers
andi

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,145097,145097#msg-145097