custom variables

John Joseph Bachir j at jjb.cc
Fri Sep 10 20:18:34 MSD 2010

Hey folks.

I can't find any information about setting custom variables in the config.
It seems to be possible, but is never mentioned in the documentation as far
as I can tell. For example, here:

  http://gist.github.com/228769

There are two places where variables are used and referenced. A series of
statements like this:

  ancient_browser msie 4.0;
  ancient_browser msie 5.0;

Apparently compose an array that can be referenced like this:

  if ($ancient_browser){ …

Then a statement like this:

  set $unsupported_browser_rewrite   perform;

Apparently can then be referenced like this:

  if ($unsupported_browser_rewrite = perform)

Clearly the first case involves some specialized behavior regarding the
browser used by the request… but the grammar is really obtuse. Can someone
point me to the documentation that explains all this?

Thanks,
John