correct message after restarting nginx?

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Wed Sep 15 06:32:51 MSD 2010

Hello!

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 09:43:03PM -0400, cimenta wrote:

> hi
>
> I used two different tutorials to install nginx. LEMP and Redmine one
> from Linode library.
>
> I made the LEMP one work and after restarting nginx I used get message
> with something about testing and that new config was or wasn't loaded
> successfully.
>
> Now I get
>
> [code]
> root at server:~# /etc/init.d/nginx reload
> Reloading nginx configuration: nginx.
> [/code]
>

> It seems to me that init script is exactly the same like was before.
>
> any idea how I can get the old more detailed message after restarting
> nginx?

nginx doesn't print any "detailed messages" on reload.  Actually,
reload is just sending HUP signal to nginx master process, so
nginx just has no chances to say anything as it's not connected to
teminal.  Anything it has to say (if something goes wrong) will be
written to error_log.

Probably your previous init script either used configtest (nginx
-t) before actual reload.  Feel free to modify your new init
script to do the same.