98: Address already in use

Maxim Dounin mdounin at mdounin.ru
Tue Apr 19 19:20:43 MSD 2011

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 09:14:48AM -0400, slowgary wrote:

> Last night I stopped and started nginx and it resolved the issue.
>
> nginx -t
> the configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf syntax is ok
> configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test is successful
>

> It really seems that somehow nginx couldn't realize that nginx itself
> was bound to those addresses.

As I already said - the problem is that EADDRINUSE error was
returned on listen() call for some reason, not on bind() as it
should.  This is itself POSIX violation, but I believe we don't
mind adding Linux-specific workaround if the problem is common and
understood.

So the real question is "how this may happen?".  So far I wasn't
able to reproduce it even on exactly the same OS.  Please let us
know if you will be able to reproduce it.