Gzipped content being sent to HTTP/1.0 clients?

Nicholas Sherlock n.sherlock at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 09:44:48 UTC 2011

On 1/08/2011 5:47 p.m., Igor Sysoev wrote:

> Add
>                   proxy_set_header Accept-Encoding "";
> to disable gzipping on backend.
>
> or add a gzip flag in cache key:
>
> map $http_accept_encoding  $gzip {
>       default                "";
>       ~gzip                  " gzip";
> }
>
>        proxy_cache_key "$host$request_uri$gzip";
Thanks for the pointers! It turns out that my backend was doing gzipping
without me realizing it (despite it being turned off in phpBB settings,
Apache's mod_deflate was configured to compress pages anyway). I've
turned off all gzip in my backend and now it works correctly.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock