Be Aware!! Russian DDOS Hacker Ivan Ivanov of Khabarovsk

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Fri Aug 12 17:54:04 UTC 2011

On 8/12/11 1:28 PM, Valery Kholodkov wrote:
> If things are so complex, could you at least ban him?

I don't understand what you see as being "complex". It's pretty
straightforward actually. As it happens though, I banned him and his IP
hours ago, before I even made my reply. It won't stop him from
re-registering with a new email and IP, or simply joining the mailing
list. Continuing to reply to this thread will, however, give him the
attention that he desires. I suggest that everyone let the thread die.

I hope my comments about origins of DDoS attacks are not hurting
people's feelings, but the truth is often inconvenient. Russian botnets
are often used in DDoS extortion schemes. This is surely neither the
place nor the time to discuss it, and I'll be happy to discuss it
privately with you anytime, but Russian based "botnets for hire" are
widely known to exist and are available for this purpose. This is
neither rumor nor innuendo. It's fact. Here's one of *many* references
to such gangs:

http://www.informationweek.com/news/security/vulnerabilities/230500126

As I said, perhaps this is an inconvenient truth, but still it's a fact.
Also, as I said, there are criminals everywhere, including in my country.

--
Jim Ohlstein