Overriding configuration variables, specifically access_log

Adam Nelson adam at yipit.com
Thu Aug 18 16:36:30 UTC 2011

We are using nginx/1.0.5 from the nginx apt repositories and have noticed
that when setting the access_log directive in /etc/nginx/conf.d/common, it
does nothing unless I comment out the access_log directive above it in
/etc/nginx/nginx.conf.

It appears that the variable is evaluated only the first time in any given
block (in this case inside the http { } block) and cannot be overridden.  Is
that the case?

If so, I think the best solution is to move the access_log directive inside
each of the individual location { } blocks where I need it so as not to
interfere with the stock nginx.conf file.

The only other alternative I can think of is to overwrite the nginx.conf
file entirely - I'm concerned about doing that because I don't want that
file overwritten by the nginx aptitude installer in the future.

Does anybody have a good solution to this?

Cheers,
Adam
---
UX/UI/IA positions available @ http://yipit.com/about/jobs/