Problem with updated nginx

pvsw1 nginx-forum at nginx.us
Sun Aug 28 21:48:46 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I have run nginx on OpenBSD for several years without problems. Recently
I upgraded to a new OpenBSD and with that to a new nginx. I went from
nginx 0.7.64 to 0.8.53p5
nginx still works but I ran into a problem: nginx listens on
localhost:10080. I use firewall rules to get my traffic there. For some
reason 0.8.53 sometimes adds the portnumber to an URL resulting in error
messages. I found a work around but that is not an acceptable final
solution as it is very difficult to update everything and the problem
will likely re-appear in the future.

The details:
nginx.conf:
server {
    listen       localhost:10080;
    server_name  www.example.com:80;

  location ^~ /pfstat {
    root   /var/mine/data;
    index  index.html index.htm index.php;
    autoindex on;

If a html file on the server contains <A HREF="pfstat"> I get a message
that the connection to nginx was denied and the URL displayed in the
browser is changed into something like www.example.com:10080/pfstat (the
port on which nginx listens is added). If the html file on the server
contains <A HREF="pfstat/"> (additional '/' at the end) everything works
OK (the 10080 is NOT added to the URL). This problem only exists when
referring to a directory, references to a file work normally (<A
HFER="somefile.html">).

Can anybody shed some light on this.
Has anything been changed in this area?

Regards,
  Paul

Ps: It is not an option to update all html files to include a trailing
'/' in case of references to a folder. This is not only a lot of work it
probably also involves modifying other peoples pages.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,214407,214407#msg-214407