feature request for HttpLimitReqModule

bignginxfan nginx-forum at nginx.us
Wed Dec 14 02:30:08 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a huge problem on my site with site scrapers, spam and spider
bots. What I was thinking was that I could use the HttpLimitReqModule
module to limit the number of requests per ip except that limits on a
level of per second or per minute is too small. Most of these bots fetch
pages or do things at a similar rate to regular users the difference
here is that over an hour or a day they fetch hundreds of pages
sometimes thousands. I can't use iptables either because they usually
use one connection and sometimes users with real browsers establish more
connections than these robots.

My request is to increase the measured speed unit in the limit_req_zone
directive to something larger than per minute; ie per hour, per day.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,220020,220020#msg-220020