Passing request directly to named location

Dayo nginx-forum at nginx.us
Fri Feb 11 15:08:17 MSK 2011

Igor Sysoev Wrote:
> I heard this "centralise" mantra many times.
> Believe me, it works until
> your configuration fits on screen or two. When it
> grows, every, note,
> EVERY configuration modification becames
> investigation of
> configuration dependences. I have an configuraiton
> with 180 locaitons.
> When I need to add some functionality, I simply
> add location and
> that is all. I do not look through whole 90K file.
>
> Why ? Because I
>
> 1) use only locations without regex.
> 2) do not use rewrite's at all.
>
> If I need to change a proxied server name or
> something else, I use simple
> find/replace in VIM. This is very easy, it's much
> easy than investigation
> of configuration dependences on every change.

Noted.  I used to have them like you have but with time, I have found
having stuff centralised more convenient for me.
That is the great thing about this little webserver you have written ...
it allows tons of options and with agentzh and the other fellas in
Shanghai coming out with all sorts of crazy modules, it is just mouth
watering.

Would be nice if some of the stuff coming out of Shanghai could be
pushed into the core.

BTW, please consider 'proxy_no_cache_null' and 'proxy_cache_bypass_null'
options to complement the 'proxy_no_cache' and 'proxy_cache_bypass'
options. That is, they should not cache / bypass cache for requests
where the passed variables are null. I use the current options to bypass
cache for logged in users after checking a cookie but it is difficult to
bypass cache based on absence of cookie.

Anyway, this is deviating and I managed to use the lua module from
agentzh (with his help) to do this.

> > So in terms of the try files and error page
> options, can you advise
> > which is better ... taking note of what you said
> about doing each proxy
> > pass every time?
>
> error_page is faster because it does not make
> syscall.

Thanks. I thought that might be the case.

Posted at Nginx Forum: http://forum.nginx.org/read.php?2,174090,174117#msg-174117